Sunday, March 6, 2011

When did you stop dancing?

My friend Lisa Stegman gave me the book MAPS TO ECSTASY this week. And inspired by another friend, Raphaela Platow, I committed to a morning reading practice so I careened through a lot of material in the last few days. One of the things that stuck in my mind is the quote below. I sent it to my inspiring friend Julianna Bloodgood who is working in Dadaab. You can follow Julianna's work here. And I just sent it again to another of my inspiring friends, Julie Sunderland, who I got to dance with today.

I could list 50 more people here who have in some way inspired me this week alone. That is how lucky I am.

So I share with you a little of Gabrielle Roth's bright writing. I hope you lift your own spirits this week with dance, singing, stories and/or silence.

"In many shamanic societies, it you came to a shaman or medicine person complaining of being disheartened, dispirited, or depressed, they would ask you one of four questions: When did you stop dancing? When did you stop singing? When did you stop being enchanted by stories? When did you stop finding comfort in the sweet territory of silence?"
Gabrielle Roth, Maps to Ecstasy

No comments:

Post a Comment